Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Chicken and Rice--comfort food at it finest.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk or 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom pieces, with liquid
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Wash chicken breasts and pat dry; set aside.
- Combine soup with milk or half-and-half; reserve 1/2 cup mixture for later.
- Mix remaining soup mixture with rice, garlic powder and 1/2 of the dry onion soup mix (about 1/4 cup).
- Mix well and pour into a baking dish.
- Place chicken breasts on rice mixture.
- Combine reserved soup mixture with undrained mushrooms.
- Pour over chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle with remaining dry onion soup mix, thyme, and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake in a 350 degrees oven for 1 hour.
- Remove foil and continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until chicken is tender and liquid is absorbed.
This was perfect! Followed directions as written and the chicken (I used bone-in) was moist. The rice was, well let me tell you this, everyone fought over the last spoonful! I may need to double the rice mixture next time. Thank you for a great recipe.