Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
This recipe comes from one of our local cookbooks, Cajun Revelation.
Top Review by Cathy17
UPDATE: 4/20/10 - Can't believe it's been three years since I made this recipe. I just made it last night and it was fab. I didn't have any mozza or fontana cheese, so I used BRIE. It was excellent! I also added a bit of cornstarch to the gravy mixture before adding it to the chicken. Still a very tasty dish! Will remember to make more often. ================ This recipe is amazing. I served it to MIL, DH's Aunt and Cousin and they all loved it! I didn't have marsala wine, so I used a white Chardonnay and followed the rest of the recipe to a T. The mixture of mushrooms and the wine/stock/drippings made a fabulous gravy while the chicken baked. The only thing I would do differently next time (and there definitely WILL be a next time) is to add the cheeses near the end as I had a bit of burnage. I would also add more of the drippings mixture to the chicken as it bakes because the gravy is so fantastic! This is a keeper and will be a staple gourmet type meal when company comes over. If you're serving it to company and presentation is important to you, I also recco you use a larger baking dish for this because it can be quite messy looking bringing it out of a smaller baker onto a serving platter. Make sure there's a decent amount of space between each piece of chicken so it's easier to remove and place on a platter for company. I served it with basmati rice, Evie's Recipe #12619 and ~Christine's~ Recipe #10344 You have a winner, Luby! The meal is great especially when served on a beautiful new platter! ;) DH didn't even flinch at the platter because he was too busy scarfing the chicken!
- 6 boneless chicken breasts, skinned and quartered
- all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, melted and divided
- salt, black pepper and red pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fontina or 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Flatten each chicken breast between sheets of waxed paper to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Dredge chicken lightly with flour.
- Place 4 pieces at a time in 2 Tbsp melted butter in large skillet.
- Cook over low heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Place chicken in a greased 9x13 baking dish overlapping edges.
- Sprinkle with salt, black pepper and red pepper to taste.
- Repeat procedure with remaining chicken.
- Add remaining butter to skillet used to saute chicken then add mushrooms, garlic and onion and saute until tender then remove from skillet.
- Sprinkle sauteed mushrooms, garlic and onion evenly over chicken.
- Stir wine and chicken stock into chicken drippings and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and peppers mixing well and spoon about a third of the sauce evenly over the chicken reserving remainder.
- Combine cheeses and sprinkle over chicken.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Place under broiler 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve with reserved sauce.