This delicious recipe was inspired by a dish that I made which was submitted by History Teacher. Thank you for inspiring me, I wanted to make your dish again but didn't have all the ingredients so I improvised and this was the result. It is quick and easy to make with a pronounced lemon flavor. We enjoyed it served over noodles.
- 2 chicken breasts, halved, boneless and skinless
- 1 egg, jumbo, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, sea
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, black
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, sweet, finely chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- In a bowl, combine the egg and one tablespoon lemon juice, mix well and set aside until required.
- Next into a bag, add the flour, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and lemon zest.
- Dip the chicken breasts in the egg mixture, then add them to the bag of coating and shake, until well coated.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add the chicken, cooking for 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- If necessary, add the additional tablespoon of butter, then add the garlic, shallot, onions and mushrooms to the pan and cook for 5 minutes on medium to low heat.
- Now in a small bowl add the chicken stock, 2 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice and cream together, stir and add this to the pan.
- I had large chicken breasts so I added them back into the pan and brought everything to a gentle boil, cooking until the mixture started to reduce and sauce thickened. You may cook sauce to your preference.
- I served the chicken and lemon mushroom sauce overtop of simple buttered noodles for a quick and easy meal.