Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This delicious recipe was inspired by a dish that I made which was submitted by History Teacher. Thank you for inspiring me, I wanted to make your dish again but didn't have all the ingredients so I improvised and this was the result. It is quick and easy to make with a pronounced lemon flavor. We enjoyed it served over noodles.
- 2 chicken breasts, halved, boneless and skinless
- 1 egg, jumbo, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, sea
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, black
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, sweet, finely chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- In a bowl, combine the egg and one tablespoon lemon juice, mix well and set aside until required.
- Next into a bag, add the flour, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and lemon zest.
- Dip the chicken breasts in the egg mixture, then add them to the bag of coating and shake, until well coated.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add the chicken, cooking for 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- If necessary, add the additional tablespoon of butter, then add the garlic, shallot, onions and mushrooms to the pan and cook for 5 minutes on medium to low heat.
- Now in a small bowl add the chicken stock, 2 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice and cream together, stir and add this to the pan.
- I had large chicken breasts so I added them back into the pan and brought everything to a gentle boil, cooking until the mixture started to reduce and sauce thickened. You may cook sauce to your preference.
- I served the chicken and lemon mushroom sauce overtop of simple buttered noodles for a quick and easy meal.
Oh my goodness, is this ever scrumptious!!! I made a scaled back version for my dinner last night. I used a chicken breast, that I butterflied and cut in half, which was way more then I could eat, but now I have fantastic lunch leftovers. I used baby portabella mushrooms and followed the rest as written. I served it over pasta with green beans and garlic bread, yummy!!
Thanks so much for sharing your recipe. Made for Went to the Market Tag Game.
this is perfect with rice loved this
Really nice recipe. The lemon came through loud and clear. Made for Everyday Holiday tag game. :)