Recipe by teresas
Chicken beasts bathed in a fragrant sauce make a delicate dish, perfect for dinner parties. Serve with rice to complete the meal. This is out of my Mexican Recipes cookbook...Yep...that's the name of the book...
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- salt and pepper
- all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter (or a combination of butter and oil)
- 16 ounces salsa, green, mild (or hot)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 -5 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1⁄2 green chili pepper, fresh, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup sour cream
- lettuce, shredded
- 3 -5 green onions, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper to taste, then dredge with flour.
- Shake off the excess.
- Melt the butter (or butter, oil) in a skillet, then add the chicken and cook over medium-high heat, turning once, until golden but not cooked through-the chicken will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Place the salsa, broth, garlic, cilantro, chili, and cumin in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Add the chicken to the sauce, spooning the sauce over the chicken.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Remove the chicken and sauce from the pan and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with sour cream, lettuce, scallion, and cilantro.