Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 6 chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- parsley (to garnish)
- Brown chicken breast.
- Place breasts in oven dish.
- Mix together the onion, garlic, cream, broth, salt, white pepper and worcestershire and mix well.
- Pour over the chicken and bake 2 hours at 300 degrees.
- After baking, remove breasts; strain juices into saucepan.
- Add 2 tablespoons flour and 1/2 cup water.
- Mix with whisk until thickened.
- Add milk if too thick.
- Pour sauce over breasts and garnish with parsley.
Chicken oven poached in creamy goodness resulting in tender breasts. I seasoned the breast with pepper and garlic powder then placed them in the oven with all the ingredients. Covered the casserole dish with foil. They were done in 45 minutes. I removed chicken then thickened liquid without removing the onion bits which was yummy! The chicken was very tender. Thanks!
We enjoyed this, even though it came out way too salty, even though I used only half the salt in this recipe. I think I know why, though. Frozen chicken breasts are usually pre-seasoned (salted), so if you use those instead of fresh, cut down on the salt in the recipe. Also, while I usually use my own homemade unsalted chicken stock, I didn't have any on hand, so used boullion (which is salty). These two factors influence the final outcome. I served with brown rice and roasted green beans, and the sauce was lovely. I browned the breasts while they were still partially frozen, and so the 2 hrs seemed like a perfect cooking time. I used an entire 2 kg bag (7 large pcs) and doubled the sauce. I upped the garlic, and used regular pepper, which gave it a nice kick.
The dish was just O.K. in my book - not bad, not great.