1/2 Photos of Chicken Breasts in (Aeolian) Island Aromatics
1 hr 5 mins
Bright citrus flavors and aromatic herbs make this chicken dish a certain croud pleaser. The double reduction -- once before baking and again after -- give this a wonderful concentration of color and flavor. Serve with a beautiful green vegetable such as spinach, asparagus or green beans. This dish is from the Aeolian Islands just off the shores of Sicily and adapted from a 1993 issue of Eating Well magazine. (Had good success making the sauce and preparing the chicken the night before. Just needed to quickly rewarm the sauce before baking.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, ground in a spicemill or mortar and pestle
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- white pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add scallions, shallots and half of the mint. Saute for 2 or 3 minutes until the shallots and scallions are softened, not browned.
- 3Stir the fennel, ginger into the sauce pan. Pour in the orange juice, lemon juice and sherry and 1 teaspoon sugar. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a soft simmer and cook uncovered until the sauce is reduced in half -- about 10 minutes.
- 4Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and butterfly each breast cutting horizontally without separating the pieces. Open each breast and massage in a quarter of the the lemon and orange zests. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Close the chicken breasts and place between sheets of waxed paper. Pound with a mallet so that the breasts are of an even thickness.
- 5Place rosemary sprigs at the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish. Top with the 4 chicken breasts (still closed). Pour wine and cirtus sauce over the chicken and bake for 30 minutes, testing that the chicken is no longer pink.
- 6Transfer the chicken to serving platter and keep covered so that it will stay warm.
- 7Pour sauce back into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until reduced by half. Taste and adjust seasonings adding more salt, pepper or sugar as desired.
- 8Spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle remaining tablespoon of mint over chicken.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Breasts in (Aeolian) Island Aromatics
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.2
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 68.4 mg
- Sodium 84.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 28.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: