Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Easily adapted for whatever you have on hand. I often substitute thighs for the breasts, regular brandy or apple juice for the apple brandy, and if you can't find Havarti Cheese, Gouda or Colby work well. If you have a newer model slow cooker, this will cook in 4-5 hours, as opposed to 6-7.
- 2 medium golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- fresh ground white pepper
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 59.14 ml french apple brandy (Calvados)
- 113.39 g havarti cheese, sliced
- chopped parsley
- Spread apples in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Arrange chicken, overlapping pieces slightly, on top of apples.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour in brandy.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, lift chicken and apples to a small baking dish.
- Pour cooking liquid into a small pan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often until liquid reduces (8 minutes).
- Pour liquid over chicken.
- Cover each chicken piece with a slice of cheese and broil in oven until cheese is bubbly (2 minutes).
- Sprinkle with parsley.
This is a very nice and great tasting recipe for the crock pot. And so easy also, I did make one mistake (hmmm) I forgot to make the sauce at the end!!!! The smell was so great and the family were hassling me for dinner that I completely forgot all about it!!!!! I did use the cheese, DH noticed it a bit dry but everyone else loved it, without the liquid sauce. ................. so next time! YES !! .....I will remember!!!! I cant wait to try this again the right way!!! If we liked it without I am sure we will ove it with it! Thanks Amanda
This was incredibly easy! And the flavors were wonderful! My chicken breasts were a little smaller than I would have liked and therefore were drier than I would have liked. My crock pot tends to cook faster than most recipes anyway so I have to monitor it closely. But despite a little dryness, the dish itself was awesome! Made for ZWT4.
This was so easy to make and very tasty. I made it exactly as stated. My problem is that it cooked way to fast. I was planning on dinner at 5 tonight and invited my parents and grandmother, but the chicken was ready 2 hours too soon! I opened the lid just to check on it and I stuck a fork into one of the pieces of chicken and found that it came apart so easily. I realized that I needed to probably keep it warm, so I set my slow cooker to warm. Then I feared that it would get dry and it started to. I had to take it out of the crock pot and I covered it and kept it in the oven (off) to keep until I was ready for everyone to come over. That's when I made the sauce and broiled the chicken with the cheese. All in all it turned out fine and my family really enjoyed it. I made this with mashed potatoes, snowpeas and carrots. Again, this was very good, I was just frustrated about how quickly it cooked. Maybe it is because I have a very new slow cooker? Not sure.. did anyone else have this problem?