Recipe by AmandaInOz
Easily adapted for whatever you have on hand. I often substitute thighs for the breasts, regular brandy or apple juice for the apple brandy, and if you can't find Havarti Cheese, Gouda or Colby work well. If you have a newer model slow cooker, this will cook in 4-5 hours, as opposed to 6-7.
Top Review by Tisme
This is a very nice and great tasting recipe for the crock pot. And so easy also, I did make one mistake (hmmm) I forgot to make the sauce at the end!!!! The smell was so great and the family were hassling me for dinner that I completely forgot all about it!!!!! I did use the cheese, DH noticed it a bit dry but everyone else loved it, without the liquid sauce. ................. so next time! YES !! .....I will remember!!!! I cant wait to try this again the right way!!! If we liked it without I am sure we will ove it with it! Thanks Amanda
- 2 medium golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- fresh ground white pepper
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 59.14 ml french apple brandy (Calvados)
- 113.39 g havarti cheese, sliced
- chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread apples in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Arrange chicken, overlapping pieces slightly, on top of apples.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour in brandy.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, lift chicken and apples to a small baking dish.
- Pour cooking liquid into a small pan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often until liquid reduces (8 minutes).
- Pour liquid over chicken.
- Cover each chicken piece with a slice of cheese and broil in oven until cheese is bubbly (2 minutes).
- Sprinkle with parsley.