1 hr 25 mins
Rich, creamy Port and mushroom sauce makes these chicken breasts special. A little more work than a weekday meal, but worth it. Great served with plain rice or simply flavored risotto (lemon or parmesan would be nice) to soak up the flavors. Adapted from Silver Palate Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 ounce dried wild mushrooms, thoroughly rinsed under running water,and drained (such as cepes, morels, etc, all one kind or a mix)
- 1/2 lb fresh cultivated mushroom, wiped clean with damp paper towel (button)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped shallot (or 3 green onions, finely-chopped, plus 1 T minced garlic)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup medium port wine
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil; pour over the wild mushrooms in a small bowl and let stand for about 2 hours.
- 2Thinly slice cleaned mushroom caps, discarding stems.
- 3In a skillet over medium to medium-to-low heat, melt butter and gently saute shallots or onion/garlic mixture for about 5 minutes (do not brown).
- 4Drain liquid from wild mushrooms and reserve.
- 5Finely chop the wild mushrooms and add them and the fresh mushrooms to the skillet with the shallots (or onion/garlic mixture) and saute over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 7- 10 minutes.
- 6Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 7Add the reserved mushroom liquid, Port, and cream to the skillet and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- 8Pour mushroom mixture into a shallow baking dish and arrange chicken breast halves in a single layer on top of the mushrooms.
- 9Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- 10Bake in the middle level of the oven for about 25- 30 minutes, until chicken is done.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Breasts Baked on Wild Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.1
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 111.9 mg
- Sodium 182.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 30.0 g