Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipes comes from the 2005 cookbook, The French Diet.
- 2 tomatoes, medium-size
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 dash cayenne, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (or whole-grain mustard)
- Cut each tomato into 4 thick slices, then salt both sices & lay them out in a single layer to drain on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cut one of the chicken breasts into 6 pieces & lay them in the center of a 12-inch square of heavy aluminum foil.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper & cayenne, to taste, then top the chicken with 2 slices of tomato & 1/4 of the tarragon leaves.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil over the tomatoes as well as a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Season the tomatoes with additional salt & pepper, to taste.
- Bring 2 opposite edges of the foil together over the top & fold them down over the chicken, then fold the sides up & over the chicken to create a packet.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts, then put the 4 packets on a baking sheet & bake for 15 minutes.
- When chicken is done, open the packets & drain the liquid into a small bowl.
- Add the mustard to the liquid, mixing well.
- Serve the chicken in the packet on a plate, & drizzle the sauce over the top.
I really enjoyed this. The chicken was very tender and juicy, but the star of the show was the sauce. I loved the tang of the mustard mixed with the cooking juices! Very easy, and pretty, too. I used a whole bone in breast (personal preference) so my chicken took a bit longer to cook, but that wasn't a problem as I expected it to take a bit longer. Next time I might add a few slivers of sun dried tomato for a bit of sweetness. Thanks for posting!
We loved this quick and easy chicken dish! I had to use dried tarragon, otherwise made as directed. The sauce with the dijon mustard was just terrific - for me it made the dish. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
*Reviewed during ZWT5 Family Picks for Chow Hounds Team* The chicken was beautiful and tender, taking around 20-25 minutes to cook through. I think cooking time may vary based on the size of the chicken breast fillets being used. I wasn't keen on the whol tarragon leaves as they are quite strong....but having said that, they did leave a lovely flavour through the entire packet. So we just left them on the sides of our plates. Served with Eggplant, Potato, Tomato Casserole for a complete meal . Photo also to be posted