Recipe by Barb G.
This recipe comes from my daughter, She has made it several times. She got the recipe from Gourmet,August 2002
Top Review by PanNan
Ole! The chicken was melt-in-your-mouth tender, and the peppers were spicy and added a lot of flavor. DH just loves it when a dish makes his nose run! We used boneless, skinless chicken breast halves and added a third one. I did not have to adjust the rest of the ingredients - there was plenty for all three breast halves. I served this with rice and a salad. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
- 1⁄2 lb fresh poblano chile (2 to 3)
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves, with or without skin (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved lengthwise,then sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup creme fraiche or 1⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- lay chiles on their sides on racks of gas burners, then turn flames on moderately high.
- Roast chiles, turning with tongs, until skins are blistered,4 to 6 minutes.
- (Or broil chiles on a rack of a broiler pan about 2 inches from heat, turning them, 8 to 10 minutes.) Transfer chiles immediately to a large sealable plastic bag and seal.
- Let steam 10 minutes, then peel or rub off skins and discard stems,seeds,and ribs.
- Rinse chiles and pat dry.
- Cut chiles into 1/4-inch thick strips.
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a heavy skillet over moderately-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Saute chicken skin or skinned sides down, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and saute 2 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to moderately low, then pour off excess fat and cook chicken, covered, until just cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, heat remaining tablespoon oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat, then cook onion, stirring, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add chiles and salt to taste and cook, stirring,5 minutes.
- Add creme fraiche and cook, stirring until just heated through (if using sour cream, do not let boil).
- Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle chicken with any pan juices and serve with sauce.