1/2 Photos of Chicken Breast With Cranberry and Brie in Puff Pastry
Hag chef's Note:
I was inspired with our trip to New Zealand to create this recipe. There were many cafes that had wonderful chicken, cranberry and Brie panini sandwiches, and I wanted to have a main course that was similar in flavour. The Cranberry Cream Sauce enhances the sweet and savoury combination.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 18 ounces chicken breasts, pounded flat (you need 6, 2-3 oz pieces)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (397 g) package frozen puff pastry
- 200 g brie cheese, in 12, 1/4 inch slices
- 120 ml cranberry sauce, whole berry
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
Cranberry Cream Sauce
- 1Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat, and add the minced garlic.
- 2Season the pounded chicken with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 3Brown the chicken in oil on both sides for about 5 minutes, and set aside to cool.
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 5Cut chicken breasts in half, if they are large, so they are about 2-3 oz each, or about 3x2 inch pieces.
- 6Roll out each 1/2 of the puff pastry to a rectangle about 8" x 18", and cut into thirds, so each one is about 8" x 6".
- 7You will have 6 rectangles in total.
- 8Place a piece of chicken at one end of the pastry, and top with 2 slices of Brie and 2 tablespoons of cranberry sauce.
- 9brush the edges of the pastry with egg, and roll it so that you end up with a double layer of pastry on the bottom, and the chicken is also at the bottom.
- 10Pinch to seal the edges of the pastry and brush the top and sides of the bundle with more of the beaten egg.
- 11Make sure there are no holes in the pastry.
- 12Bake at 350 for 20 - 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 13Cranberry Cream Sauce:.
- 14Mix together the corn starch and water to a paste, and set aside.
- 15Put the cranberry juice, wine, Dijon mustard, and cream in a medium saucepan and heat to just simmering.
- 16Add the corn starch mixture, and stir, or whisk, until thickened, for about 1 or 2 minutes.
- 17To Serve:.
- 18Make a puddle with about 1/4 cup of sauce on the plate. Place the chicken bundle on top, so that some of the sauce peeks out from underneath.
- 19If desired, garnish the plate with a few fresh cranberries.
- 20*To make this a little more health friendly, try using 1 sheet of Phyllo pastry per chicken breast instead of the puff pastry.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Breast With Cranberry and Brie in Puff Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 786.6
- Calories from Fat 444
- Total Fat 49.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 136.2 mg
- Sodium 503.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 16.3 g
- Protein 31.4 g