Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I was inspired with our trip to New Zealand to create this recipe. There were many cafes that had wonderful chicken, cranberry and Brie panini sandwiches, and I wanted to have a main course that was similar in flavour. The Cranberry Cream Sauce enhances the sweet and savoury combination.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 18 ounces chicken breasts, pounded flat (you need 6, 2-3 oz pieces)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (397 g) package frozen puff pastry
- 200 g brie cheese, in 12, 1/4 inch slices
- 120 ml cranberry sauce, whole berry
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
Cranberry Cream Sauce
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup frozen cranberry juice concentrate, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat, and add the minced garlic.
- Season the pounded chicken with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Brown the chicken in oil on both sides for about 5 minutes, and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut chicken breasts in half, if they are large, so they are about 2-3 oz each, or about 3x2 inch pieces.
- Roll out each 1/2 of the puff pastry to a rectangle about 8" x 18", and cut into thirds, so each one is about 8" x 6".
- You will have 6 rectangles in total.
- Place a piece of chicken at one end of the pastry, and top with 2 slices of Brie and 2 tablespoons of cranberry sauce.
- brush the edges of the pastry with egg, and roll it so that you end up with a double layer of pastry on the bottom, and the chicken is also at the bottom.
- Pinch to seal the edges of the pastry and brush the top and sides of the bundle with more of the beaten egg.
- Make sure there are no holes in the pastry.
- Bake at 350 for 20 - 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cranberry Cream Sauce:.
- Mix together the corn starch and water to a paste, and set aside.
- Put the cranberry juice, wine, Dijon mustard, and cream in a medium saucepan and heat to just simmering.
- Add the corn starch mixture, and stir, or whisk, until thickened, for about 1 or 2 minutes.
- To Serve:.
- Make a puddle with about 1/4 cup of sauce on the plate. Place the chicken bundle on top, so that some of the sauce peeks out from underneath.
- If desired, garnish the plate with a few fresh cranberries.
- *To make this a little more health friendly, try using 1 sheet of Phyllo pastry per chicken breast instead of the puff pastry.
This needs to be made with the puff pastry not phyllo. Also, double the cheese it was not even detectable in the finished dish. Don't forget to butter or spray the baking dish before you put in the chicken. I made this with a side of green beans. I will make it again, but double the cheese, and maybe add some dried cranberries