Recipe by DeSouter
From the Stew Leonards.com site. Stews is a great East Coast dairy store that sells the freshest of everything. They have a revolving recipe link on their site and my friend swears by every recipe she's ever tried off of the site. So I think I'll give this one a crack as a New Years Eve appetizer. (Adjust wine and other ingredients to suit your taste)
- 6 -8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 lbs puff pastry
- 1 lb mushroom
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 2 teaspoons lemon thyme, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons lemons, zest of, finely diced
- 2 gallons chicken stock
- 4 cups merlot
Directions See How It's Made
- Reduce the 4 cups of Merlot until 1 cup and add the chicken stock.
- Reduce until it becomes the consistency of a sauce.
- Slice the mushrooms and saute in a little olive oil.
- Flambe with the brandy, add the garlic, and lemon thyme and salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat, cool and grind or put in a food processor.
- Pound chicken breasts between plastic wrap about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Add about 2 Tablespoons of filling and roll up like a burrito and tie with string.
- Sear in a saute pan to brown the outside (inside will be raw).
- Let cool.
- In the meantime, roll out puff pastry to 6- 8 sheets 6"x8".
- Brush with egg wash.
- Take chicken, remove the strong and put in center of puff pastry and roll up like a burrito.
- Do this to the other chicken breasts.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees, place chicken in pan, and cook about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, slice and serve with the Merlot Sauce.