Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a really simple, really impressive dish
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 4 slices smoked salmon
For the sauce
- 500 ml milk
- 50 g butter
- 25 g flour
- 75 g cheese
- 100 g smoked salmon, trimmings
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Make a deep cut into each chicken breast and insert a slice of smoked salmon.
- Place on greased baking tray and place in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- When the chicken has been in the oven for about 15 minutes, start to prepare the sauce.
- Mix the flour and butter together and put in a pan on gentle heat for one minute then gradually add the milk and whisk to remove any lumps.
- When all the milk has been added and any lumps whisked out add the smoked salmon and stir till well mixed. then add the nutmeg and black pepper to taste.
- When the sauce begins to thicken to the required consistency and the cheese and stir in till melted.
- I normally serve this with only a little sauce on the plate with baby veg. taking the remaining sauce to the table so guest can help themselves, and it all goes.