Recipe by Realtor by day, Chef by night
This is comfort food- rich, delicious and satisfying! We just love it! Try this, you'll love it. Your family won't be able to stop eating it.
Top Review by Doggie Mom
Very satisfying dish! It reminds you of Thanksgiving. It would be a great meal to make with left over turkey. We used a sturdier rosemary bread instead of white bread which really was delicious and served it with peas and cranberry sauce. Yummo!
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2 cups boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons pimiento, chopped (or roasted red peppers)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Line the bottom of a buttered 13x9 baking pan with the bread. Cut the bread slices to fit. Spread the chicken out evenly over top of the bread.
- In a small frying pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until slightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat, add mayonnaise. Mix well and spoon evenly over chicken.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over mushroom mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, soup, eggs, pimiento, salt and pepper. Mix well and pour evenly over top.
- Bake 1 hour until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top and dot with slivers of the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Bake for about 10 minutes more or until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned.