Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A tender and flavorful company dish. From the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 shallots, peeled and minced
- 8 small onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 frying chicken, cut up
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon chervil, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup red wine or 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- Brown salt pork slightly in melted butter; add the shallots, onions, garlic and carrot.
- Saute until tender, but do not brown.
- Lift vegetables out and brown the chicken in remaining fat.
- Sprinkle with flour, seasonings, and herbs.
- Add sauteed vegetables, wine, and brandy.
- Cook rapidly, 15 or 20 minutes.
- During the last five minutes, add the mushrooms.
- Skim off excess fat and serve.