Recipe by JustJanS
My family loves this quick, easy chicken recipe. Don't expect a thick, clingy sauce-it's not-but it goes really well over steamed rice, served in deep bowls.
Top Review by Pets'R'us
A light, simple and delicious chicken dish. Did not change a thing. I first wanted to add a chili pepper but decided against it, I was afraid to loose the fragrant flavor of the szechuan peppercorns. The star anise was there but not overpowering the other flavors. Served it with rice and stir fried mixed vegetables.
- 1 teaspoon szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 pieces fresh ginger, finely julienned (3cm each)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillet, cut into thirds
- 1⁄3 cup rice wine (I don't have it so I use Sake)
- 1 tablespoon honey (I have used maple syrup)
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce (I have used the dark successfully)
- 1 star anise
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a wok over medium heat, add the peppercorns and cook, shaking often for 3 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Remove and crush lightly with the back of a knife.
- Reheat the wok, add the oil and swirl to coat.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook over a low heat for 1-2 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Add the chicken, increase the heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes, or until browned all over.
- Add the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
- Serve with rice.