Chicken Braised in Red Wine
- Heat half the butter in a heavy pot. Season chicken with salt and pepper, add to pot, and cook, turning until browned.
- Add onions and bacon and cook until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic, and cook a few more minutes, turning them in the juices.
- Stir the flour into the browned butter and cook for one minute. Add the tomato paste, wine, and sugar; stir well and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to barely simmering and let braise gently until chicken is cooked. (approximately 50 minutes).
- Lift out chicken pieces and vegetables onto serving dish.
- Transfer batches of cooking liquid and any trimmings left in pan to a blender. Add the remaining butter and blend. Taste for seasoning. Serve with chicken.