Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
An adaptation of French coq au vin from Cooking Light magazine (1988).
Make and share this Chicken Braised in Red Wine recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb small fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups no-salt-added chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 chicken thighs, about 1 lb, skinned
- 3 chicken drumsticks, about 1 lb, skinned
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 small white onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 ounce sliced cooked extra lean cured ham, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Cut stems from fresh mushrooms, and set stems aside.
- Cut mushroom caps in half, and set aside.
- Combine mushroom stems, broth, and wine in a small non-aluminum saucepan, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook, uncovered 15 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup.
- Strain mixture, reserve cooking liquid, and set aside.
- Discard mushroom stems.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Coat a large frypan with cooking spray, place over medium high heat until hot.
- Add chicken, and cook until browned.
- Remove from frypan, set aside.
- Wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel.
- coat skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium low heat until hot.
- Add onions and garlic, cook until onions are browned.
- Add mushroom caps, reserved cooking liquid, chicken, and remaining ingredients to frypan, bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken, ham, and veggies to a platter, and keep warm, discard herbs.
- Place cooking liquid over high heat, and cook 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Serve chicken, ham and veggies with sauce.