1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
An adaptation of French coq au vin from Cooking Light magazine (1988).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb small fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups no-salt-added chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 chicken thighs, about 1 lb, skinned
- 3 chicken drumsticks, about 1 lb, skinned
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 small white onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 ounce sliced cooked extra lean cured ham, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Cut stems from fresh mushrooms, and set stems aside.
- 2Cut mushroom caps in half, and set aside.
- 3Combine mushroom stems, broth, and wine in a small non-aluminum saucepan, bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat and cook, uncovered 15 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup.
- 5Strain mixture, reserve cooking liquid, and set aside.
- 6Discard mushroom stems.
- 7Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, set aside.
- 8Coat a large frypan with cooking spray, place over medium high heat until hot.
- 9Add chicken, and cook until browned.
- 10Remove from frypan, set aside.
- 11Wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel.
- 12coat skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium low heat until hot.
- 13Add onions and garlic, cook until onions are browned.
- 14Add mushroom caps, reserved cooking liquid, chicken, and remaining ingredients to frypan, bring to a boil.
- 15Cover, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- 16Remove chicken, ham, and veggies to a platter, and keep warm, discard herbs.
- 17Place cooking liquid over high heat, and cook 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup.
- 18Serve chicken, ham and veggies with sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Braised in Red Wine
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.4
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 71.9 mg
- Sodium 262.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 19.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: