Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
An adaptation of French coq au vin from Cooking Light magazine (1988).
Make and share this Chicken Braised in Red Wine recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb small fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups no-salt-added chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 chicken thighs, about 1 lb, skinned
- 3 chicken drumsticks, about 1 lb, skinned
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 small white onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 ounce sliced cooked extra lean cured ham, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Cut stems from fresh mushrooms, and set stems aside.
- Cut mushroom caps in half, and set aside.
- Combine mushroom stems, broth, and wine in a small non-aluminum saucepan, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook, uncovered 15 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup.
- Strain mixture, reserve cooking liquid, and set aside.
- Discard mushroom stems.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Coat a large frypan with cooking spray, place over medium high heat until hot.
- Add chicken, and cook until browned.
- Remove from frypan, set aside.
- Wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel.
- coat skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium low heat until hot.
- Add onions and garlic, cook until onions are browned.
- Add mushroom caps, reserved cooking liquid, chicken, and remaining ingredients to frypan, bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken, ham, and veggies to a platter, and keep warm, discard herbs.
- Place cooking liquid over high heat, and cook 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Serve chicken, ham and veggies with sauce.