Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm sure this is not an authentic Booyah...so I'll call it the midwestern version. :-)Don't let the list of ingredients put you off from this stew, it's really very simple to put together. Great served with home made biscuits and a simple green salad.
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens
- 2 lbs beef shanks, cut 1 inch thick
- 2 lbs pork shoulder
- 7 cups water
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen green beans, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- red pepper sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup minced parsley
- In large stockpot bring chicken, beef shanks. pork, water, stock, 3 of the garlic cloves and the bay leaves to a boil over high heat, skimming off any foam.
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Remove lid for the last 45 minutes of cooking.
- Remove meat from the pot and cool. Cut all meat and chicken into bite size pieces.
- Strain and measure stock, setting aside 8 cups. If needed add water to make the 8 cups.
- Discard skin, bones and bay leaves.
- In the stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and the final clove of garlic. Saute until tender.
- Add the reserved stock, potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, salt, rosemary, pepper and thyme and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender.
- Add the peas, reserved chicken and meat and the lemon rind. Add red pepper sauce. Simmer a few minutes longer until the peas are tender.
- Serve in large soup bowls and garnish with fresh parsley.