Recipe by * Pamela *
From Company's Coming make Ahead Meals.
Top Review by Katydidit
[31 Jan. 2011... oops... I forgot to put my stars on my original review Jan. 28. --Katy] OMG--How did I forget to give this recipe a thumbs-up? I've been making this recipe for my family for several years now, and we *love* it.
Like some of the other reviewers, I use skinless, boneless breast. I cut the chicken into more-or-less bite-size pieces, and rather than rolling the chicken in the sauce and then putting it in the baking pan/dish (I use ceramic or Pyrex), I just pour part of the sauce directly into the baking dish and "swish" the chicken pieces around in it until they're coated with the sauce. (I don't grease the baking dish--there's enough butter in the recipe that I've never had any trouble with major sticking or clean-up.)
When I'm making it ahead to freeze, I do *not* cook it first--the reheated chicken is too dry for us. I just toss the chicken pieces together with some of the sauce, dump it into a freezer container, and put a layer of plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture in the container and pat it down to remove air pockets. Then I put the remaining sauce in a small plastic bag and put that on top of the chicken/sauce mixture before putting a lid on the container. (The extra sauce in the bag is what goes on the chicken halfway through the cooking time.) All I have to do is thaw it, put aside the sauce packet, dump the chicken mixture in the baking dish, and go from there. Easy-peasy!
We serve this with basmati rice, peas, and naan bread. A very simple weeknight dinner.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup mustard
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients, except chicken, in a small sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until smooth and slightly warmed.
- Roll each piece of chicken into the sauce and place in a greased, 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 375°F
- Spread remaining sauce over chicken and bake for an additional half hour or until chicken is done.
- To freeze: after casserole has cooled, label and freeze for up to 4 months.
- To serve: thaw overnight and bake until heated through add an additional 30-45 minutes if baking from frozen.