1 hr 25 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
Here's a lightened up version of bolognese that really very good. Use all white ground chicken (or turkey) to keep this as low in fat as possible. This is a Wolfgang Puck recipe which I found in the Chicago Tribune some time ago.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 white onion, cut into small dice
- 2 carrots, cut into small dice
- 1 celery rib, cut into small dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth, heated
- 1/8 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 (1 lb) package rigatoni pasta
- 6 -7 basil leaves, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 T. of the olive oil; heat 1 minute. Add the chicken; cook, stirring and breaking up pieces, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and pepper to taste. Transfer chicken with a slotted spoon to a colander to drain; set aside.
- 2Heat the remaining 2 T. of olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery; cook, stirring, until they just start to color, 6 minutes. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste; cook until blended and fragrant, 3-4 minutes.
- 3Stir in the wine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until almost all the liquid has evaporated, 5-7 minutes. Add the tomatoes; cook 3 minutes. Add the broth, cooked chicken, oregano, thyme, remaining 1/2 teaspoons of salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 30 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile heat a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the rigatoni; cook until al dente according to package directions.
- 5Stir the basil and red pepper flakes into the sauce; adjust the seasoning. Drain pasta; toss with the sauce in a large serving bowl.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Bolognese With Rigatoni
Serving Size: 1 (443 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.8
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 107.4 mg
- Sodium 768.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 30.0 g