Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I used http://www.food.com/recipe/vegetarian-pasta-sauce-167014 as my recipe base because I wanted something chunky & rich to go with my cheese. Many thanks for sharing that recipe because it was PERFECT.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 3 small garlic cloves (crushed)
- 500 g chicken (cubed)
- 2 (400 g) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (140 g) can tomato paste
- 1 large carrot (diced)
- 1 celery (sliced)
- 3 fresh basil leaves (torn)
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- salt & pepper
- 250 g cherry bocconcini (although more would be a bonus)
- Heat oil in a large pan (big enough for the entire dish) and saute onions & garlic and brown chicken.
- Add the tomatos, paste and vegetables.
- Add all herbs and seasoning.
- Bring sauce to a boil and then simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Once sauce is set to simmer, prepare pasta.
- When water for pasta is boiling, add the bocconcini to the sauce and stir through. You're aiming for the cheese to be a little melty but still hold most of it's shape.
- When pasta is ready, serve and enjoy!
Bocconcini was impossible to find in our area, so I subbed in Aged Mozzarella. This sauce is very dense and good. The only thing I would really change is to sauté the carrots and celery with the onions and garlic instead of just adding them directly to the sauce. The veggies were a little bit too crunchy still at the end of the 30 minute simmering time. Thank you for a recipe pretty close to the one I grew up with. I can't wait until my uncle brings me back some Bocconcini so I can use the correct cheese. Thank you Satyne! Made for Photo Tag Summer 2013.