Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my 8-year-old daughter's favorite meal.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn
- Heat oil in a large soup kettle. Saute onion and garlic until soft. Add cubed chicken and cook until done.
- * I sometimes use precooked chicken to save a couple minutes prep time or use up leftovers.
- Add broth, spices ,black beans, tomatoes, and corn. Bring to a boil, and then let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Can also be cooked in the crockpot rather than on the stovetop -- in fact. the longer it cooks the tastier it is. Freezes well also.
I use boneless, skinless chicken thighs as that's where the flavor is. Also I preseason the chicken prior to grilling it first. This gives it a good seer to lock in juices and adds a smokiness to it, slice it up then introduce to recipe. Cilantro and diced green onions are another addition opted for during the simmer phase.
USE YOUR IMAGINATION
This was easy and delish. Dh thought it could be spicier (he was to lazy to get off the couch for the hot sauce, LOL). I did have a moment when i was making this. I was using the pot i was going to make this in so in the a.m. i turned to my trusty crock pot. The chicken was still a touch frozen, so i cut it into bite size pieces, added everything else (only change was i used rotle i had no plain diced and didn't think the ones with basil would taste right). Cooked on high for 1 hr turned to low and cooked about 5 1/2 hr. This was very easy and would be great for left over chicken or turkey. I served with shredded cheddar, sour cream and taco chips.