Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My sister made this and gave me the recipe to post.
Top Review by Olive*
Delicious casserole!! I made 2 changes to suit our taste. I added a 4 ounce can of chopped green chilies because after looking at the ingredients, I thought it needed a bit of heat. I also used Mexican blend cheese instead of the Monterey Jack. We really liked this casserole and will be having it again! Thanks for posting this recipe!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, including juice, slightly pureed
- 1⁄2 cup prepared salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 -3 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 8 corn tortillas
- 4 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- plain nonfat yogurt
- sour cream
- avocado, slices
- sliced green onion
- chopped black olives
Directions See How It's Made
- In a big skillet, warm the oil over medium heat; add in onion, green pepper, and garlic; saute about 5 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Add in tomatoes, salsa, cumin, salt, pepper, and oregano; stir to mix.
- Stir in beans and chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a lightly oiled 4-quart casserole spread 1/3 of the bean-chicken mixture over the bottom.
- Top with 4 tortillas and sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- Add another 1/3 of the bean-chicken mixture and 1 cup cheese.
- Top with 4 tortillas and 1 cup cheese.
- Add remaining bean-chicken mixture; cover and bake about 40 minutes, until bubbly.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese; cook 10 minutes; let stand 5 minutes before serving.