"Bistro Cakes" makes these sound upscale, but they are a great way to use up leftover chicken. Vary the herbs or veges to suit what you have or what you like. I like to add a bit of chopped red bell pepper when I have it. I show using fresh herbs - makes these a bit special. But if you don't have them, use about 1/3 the amount dried. Amount of egg will vary depending on the dryness of your bread crumbs.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 -3 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, diviided
- Melt the butter is a medium saute pan. Saute onion and celery until tender. Transfer to a large bowl and cool.
- Add chicken, bread crumbs and seasonings; stir in the eggs. Form cakes, uising a packed 1/3 cup measuring cup, lightly pressing to make a 3" cake. Transfer to cookie sheet or plate. Chill 15 minutes. (Don't skip the chilling - it helps the cake hold together).
- Heat 2 T. oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Saute 1/2 the cakes. Add remaining oil and saute remaining cakes.