Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Tastes great with cheese bread. I add a little yellow food coloring when it is done cooking to give a little bit more pleasing color. If you are pressed for time, you can cut the preparation time down by pressure cooking the chicken.
- 1 large stewing chicken
- 4 celery ribs
- 4 carrots
- 2 onions, cut in half
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup pimiento, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook chicken, celery, carrots, and onion in just enough water to cover until the chicken is tender. (Be sure to cook on low heat).
- Strain off 8 cups chicken stock.
- Cut up chicken and set aside.
- Make butter roux by melting butter and adding flour.
- Cook slowly.
- Bring chicken stock to a low boil.
- Slowly add roux.
- Simmer 15 minutes, or until soup takes on a glaze.
- Add pimentos, chopped chicken, peppers, and pepper.
- Whisk constantly.
I chopped the cooked celery,carrots and onion into very tiny pieces and added to the broth. I cooked the peppers in chicken broth before adding roux.Very good.You must stir/wisk constantly or it will burn as the roux thickens the bisque. It is filling, satisfying - pure comfort food and very easy to make.