Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great Pakistani Recipe. I found it on a bag of Falak Basmiti rice.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup yogurt
- 3 thinly sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon green chili paste (adjust to taste, I use whole chillies and do not eat)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons roasted cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 7 tablespoons vegetable oil (adjust to taste)
- Mix tomato puree, yogurt, ginger, garlic, green chili paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, roasted cumin powder, garam masala, coriander powder and salt. Stir well.
- Marinate the chicken with this mixture and keep aside for this mixture and keep aside for 3 to 4 hours.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the onions until golden brown. The golden brown onions are a very very important step in Pakistani cooking. Do not make it less than golden brown. This is why you need the extra oil.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water to the rice. Mix Saffron in milk and add it. Add the chicken pieces. Pressure cook the rice.
- Mix gently. Garnish with green coriander leaves and serve hot.
Really liked the recipe and made something that I always thought was so hard- easy. I didn't use the safron and milk, as my mum doesn't use that. Very enjoyable recipe!
love this and love finding anything unique to do with chicken.wonderfull taste.
Wouldn't this be more like Pulao Biryani? I definately am gonna try this one.