Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great Pakistani Recipe. I found it on a bag of Falak Basmiti rice.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup yogurt
- 3 thinly sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon green chili paste (adjust to taste, I use whole chillies and do not eat)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons roasted cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 7 tablespoons vegetable oil (adjust to taste)
- Mix tomato puree, yogurt, ginger, garlic, green chili paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, roasted cumin powder, garam masala, coriander powder and salt. Stir well.
- Marinate the chicken with this mixture and keep aside for this mixture and keep aside for 3 to 4 hours.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the onions until golden brown. The golden brown onions are a very very important step in Pakistani cooking. Do not make it less than golden brown. This is why you need the extra oil.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water to the rice. Mix Saffron in milk and add it. Add the chicken pieces. Pressure cook the rice.
- Mix gently. Garnish with green coriander leaves and serve hot.
Really liked the recipe and made something that I always thought was so hard- easy. I didn't use the safron and milk, as my mum doesn't use that. Very enjoyable recipe!
love this and love finding anything unique to do with chicken.wonderfull taste.