Recipe by Mumma=^..^=
This recipe is a lot of work, but is definitely worth it. Chopping everything in advance makes it go smoother. Ghee is butter that has been slowly melted so that the milk solids and golden liquid have been separated. Vegetable oil can be used but ghee gives a more authentic taste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 large purple onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons plain yogurt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 2 lbs chicken pieces, boneless, skinless, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced
- 2 strands saffron
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 whole clove
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 7 ounces basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, fry potatoes in ghee until brown. Remove and reserve the potatoes. Add onion, garlic and ginger to the skillet, fry until onion is soft and golden. Add chili, pepper, turmeric, cumin, salt and the tomatoes. Fry, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Add yogurt, mint, cardamom and cinnamon stick. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are cooked to a pulp. It may be necessary to add a little hot water if the mixture becomes too dry and starts to stick to the pan.
- When the mixture is thick and smooth, add the chicken pieces and stir well to coat them with the spice mixture. Cover and cook over very low heat until the chicken is tender, approximately 35 to 45 minutes. There should only be a little very thick gravy left when chicken is finished cooking. If necessary cook uncovered for a few minutes to reduce the gravy.
- Wash rice well and drain in colander for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat ghee and fry the onions until they are golden. Add saffron, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger and rice. Stir continuously until the rice is coated with the spices.
- In a medium-size pot, heat the chicken stock and salt. When the mixture is hot pour it over the rice and stir well. Add the chicken mixture and the potatoes; gently mix them into the rice. Bring to boil. Cover the saucepan tightly, turn heat to very low and steam for 20 minutes. Do not lift lid or stir while cooking. Spoon biryani onto a warm serving dish.