Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Biryani is a combination of rice with meat, chicken, shrimp, vegetables or fish. It is a meal within itself. Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients, it is really an easy dish to prepare and tasty too.
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 whole cardamom pods
- 2 -3 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 onions, sliced
- 4 (6 ounce) chicken breasts, cubed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 cardamom pods, seeds removed and ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground chile
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread, soaked in 2 Tablespoons hot milk
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds, for garnish
- fresh cilantro stem (to garnish)
- plain yogurt, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bring a pan of water to a boil and add the rice, salt, cardamom pods, cloves and cinnamon stick; boil for two minutes and then drain, leaving the whole spices in the rice.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions for about 8 minutes, until browned.
- Add the chicken, followed by the ground cloves, cardamom, chilies, cumin, coriander, black pepper, garlic, ginger and lemon juice; stir-fry 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken mixture to a casserole and lay the sliced tomatoes on top.
- Sprinkle on the cilantro, spoon on the plain yogurt and top with drained basmati rice.
- Drizzle the saffron and milk over the rice and pour on 2/3 cup water.
- Cover tightly and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Transfer to a warmed serving platter and remove the whole spices from the rice.
- Garnish with toasted almonds and freshly chopped cilantro and serve with plain yogurt.
I liked the recipe but it was rather bland. I expected more flavor with all the spices that were used. It was easy to make, the rice was very good, I would probably use four red chillies the next time.I was unsure as to how much cilantro to add and when to add it.
That recipe is really inviting!