1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
- Carla -'s Note:
Biryani is a combination of rice with meat, chicken, shrimp, vegetables or fish. It is a meal within itself. Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients, it is really an easy dish to prepare and tasty too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 whole cardamom pods
- 2 -3 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 onions, sliced
- 4 (6 ounce) chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 cardamom pods, seeds removed and ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chile
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread, soaked in 2 Tablespoons hot milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds, for garnish
- fresh cilantro stem (to garnish)
- plain yogurt, to serve
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 2Bring a pan of water to a boil and add the rice, salt, cardamom pods, cloves and cinnamon stick; boil for two minutes and then drain, leaving the whole spices in the rice.
- 3Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions for about 8 minutes, until browned.
- 4Add the chicken, followed by the ground cloves, cardamom, chilies, cumin, coriander, black pepper, garlic, ginger and lemon juice; stir-fry 5 minutes.
- 5Transfer the chicken mixture to a casserole and lay the sliced tomatoes on top.
- 6Sprinkle on the cilantro, spoon on the plain yogurt and top with drained basmati rice.
- 7Drizzle the saffron and milk over the rice and pour on 2/3 cup water.
- 8Cover tightly and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- 9Transfer to a warmed serving platter and remove the whole spices from the rice.
- 10Garnish with toasted almonds and freshly chopped cilantro and serve with plain yogurt.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Biryani
Serving Size: 1 (559 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 763.3
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 114.1 mg
- Sodium 437.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 45.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole cardamom pods