Recipe by Reddyrat
A great dish. I loved the spices and mixture of sweet and savory. This recipe is from the September 2007 issue of Cooking Light. It's easy to put together and tastes terrific! The saffron adds something special. You can find it fairly inexpensively at Trader Joe's.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 finely chopped serrano chili (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces (skinless, boneless)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic to pan. Saute 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in cumin, allspice, saffron, and cardamom; cook 15 seconds. Stir in tomato, raisins, and serrano. Cook 1 minute.
- Add chicken. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add juice and salt. Cook 30 seconds.
- Add rice; cook 90 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Stir in 2 cups water. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.