Recipe by Sarah_Jayne
If you are like us and enjoy Indian food but are a bit daunted by the idea of cooking it then this biryani could be a good place to start for you. It is a fairly easy one dish meal and you can control the spice levels by picking the strength of curry paste that your family would enjoy.
Top Review by ~Leslie~
Wow! This recipe will be repeated many times in my household. We loved it! Very simple and fast to put together, clear instructions for a quick family meal. I added a little toasted coconut to the top for extra flavour. Thanks for posting, this was GREAT! Made for ZWT 6 :)
- 11 1⁄2 ounces basmati rice
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 4 tablespoons curry paste
- 3 ounces raisins
- 30 fluid ounces chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1⁄8 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the rice in warm water, then wash in cold until the water runs clear.
- Heat butter in a saucepan and cook the onions with the bay leaf and other whole spices for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the turmeric, then add chicken and curry paste and cook until aromatic.
- Stir the rice into the pan with the raisins, then pour over the stock.
- Place a tight-fitting lid on the pan and bring to a hard boil, then lower the heat to a minimum and cook the rice for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave for 10 minutes.
- Stir well, mixing through half the coriander.
- To serve, scatter over the rest of the coriander and the almonds.