Recipe by Brian Holley
Despite the fact that many think Biryanis are Indian, they originated in Persia, and were taken to India by traders. This is a combination of meat, rice and spices. Eaten on festive occasions and at dinner parties. This is super, simple dish to make. Serve with curried vegetables, and chutney.
Top Review by Chef Dudo
A good curry. Made it as stated and found it missing something. Did not know what. Added one teaspoon brown sugar and two teaspoons hot mustard. That did the trick. Also I found it just a little too "wet". We like sauce with curries bit this was just a tad too thin. Maybe cook it longer? But then the chicken breasts would get too dry. Use skin and bone-less chicken thighs? Yes, I think I'll try it with that next time. I am happy to have found this recipe and will make again. Thanks for posting.
- 10 ounces basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 inch gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 green cardamom pods, cut open at one end
- 4 cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the rice in several changes of water, place rice in a large bowl, cover with water and soak for 30 minutes.
- While the rice is soaking, heat the oil in a large pot and fry the onions for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chilli and ginger, fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes Stirring every minute.
- Add the curry paste , salt, and garam masala to the chicken and cook for 5 minutes Gently stir in the tomato wedges and cook 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside till later.
- Preheat oven to 190degrees Celsius
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Grain the rice and add it to the pot of water with the turmeric. Cook for 10 mins, or, till rice is almost tender.
- Drain the rice and toss in the bay leaves, cardamoms, cloves and saffron.
- In a shallow oven proof dish layer the rice and meat, finishing with a layer of rice on the top. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve with vegetable curry and chutney.