Recipe by Pinay0618
Using Saigon cinnamon, a fiery sweet spice, adds complexity and fragrance to this simple one-pot chicken and rice dish. Recipe from Saveur.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 3 chiles de arbol, crumbled by hand
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground saigon cinnamon
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 skinless bone-in chicken thighs
- 4 skinless bone-in chicken legs
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 inches piece ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sliced almonds, for garnish
- fried shallots, for garnish
- cilantro leaf, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Put the rice in a small bowl and cover with water; let it soak for 20 minutes. Drain the rice and set it aside.
- Heat the oil in a 4-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the coriander and chiles, and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add the salt, cinnamon, garlic, chicken, onion, ginger, and jalapeno, and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions soften, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved rice and 1 1/4 cups water, and bring to a simmer. Cover pot and transfer to the oven; cook until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes. Transfer the pot to a rack and let it sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff the rice with a fork. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with almonds, fried shallots, and cilantro.