Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I really like this sauce for our annual chicken BBQ at work. This recipe makes a lot. =) Keeps well for several weeks bottled in the fridge.
- 8 medium onions, chopped fine
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup prepared mustard (I like dijon)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 quart vinegar
- 1 quart chicken broth (I par-boil the chicken pieces and use this seasoned stock)
- 2 (14 ounce) bottles ketchup
- 2 (29 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Sautee onions in oil until tender but not browned Combine, mustard, flour,salt, pepper, and brown sugar to onions and stir.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes stirring constantly.
- Marinade par-boiled chicken pieces in sauce for at least one hour (or overnight) or baste pieces as you grill.