1 hr 10 mins
Tracy K's Note:
A traditional Moroccan dish generally served as an appetizer or first course. Exotic, delicious blend of flavors. Source: Hilaire Walden, The Moroccan Collection
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small chicken
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup blanched almond, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (9 ounce) package phyllo dough, thawed
- olive oil, for brushing phyllo
- salt and pepper
- 1Put the chicken in a saucepan with the onion, ginger, saffron, cilantro, 1 tsp of cinnamon, and the parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
- 2Add enough water to barely cover the chicken and simmer gently, covered, for 45 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- 3Preheat oven to 400.
- 4Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- 5Boil the cooking juices until they are reduced to a thick, dryish sauce.
- 6Set aside.
- 7When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and take the meat off the bones.
- 8Coarsely chop the meat.
- 9Beat the eggs and butter with half the reduced cooking juices and cook, stirring constantly, until the eggs are scrambled.
- 10Set aside.
- 11Toast the almonds in a dry, heavy frying pan, stirring frequently, until lightly browned.
- 12Add the remaining cinnamon and sugar.
- 13On a baking sheet, use the phyllo pastry (overlapping sheets) to make a square three layers thick and 18 inches across.
- 14Spread the remaining cooking juices in a 7-inch circle in the center of the pastry.
- 15Cover with the egg mixture, and top with chicken and almonds.
- 16Fold the sides of the pastry up and over the filling to completely enclose the filling.
- 17If necessary, patch any gaps with more pastry, always brushing with oil.
- 18Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and crisp.
- 19To serve, lightly dust confectioner's sugar andground cinnamon over the top.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Bastilla
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 652.1
- Calories from Fat 369
- Total Fat 41.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 266.1 mg
- Sodium 366.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 39.6 g