Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is better than you can get at any Broasted Grocery Store!
- 1 (2 -3 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 teaspoons of miscellaneous spices (that contain garlic power or fresh chopped garlic,salt, pepper, msg, etc.)
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 1 apple, cut into quarters
- 1 oranges, lemon, grapefruit or 1 lime
- string, to tie legs
- steel skewer
- Wash chicken inside and out!
- Put 1/3 spices inside cavity along with the quartered onion and apple.
- Also try grapes,oranges,lemons,limes.Any fruit that has plenty of juice.It will baste itself while cooking and turning.
- Pat dry and use the other 2/3's outside and rub into the chicken skin!
- Tie legs and put skewers where needed to keep firm on rod!
- Cook on medium heat for 2 hours, let rest when done for 15 minutes and serve!
I worked in a restaurant that specialized in rotisserie chicken and it wasn't even close to being this good! Definitely, the juicier the fruit you use, the better. I've tried it a number of times with different fruits and have found oranges and lemons (skip the apple) seem to add the most flavor and keep the chicken its juiciest. I put chopped garlic and ginger inside the chicken with the fruit and rub the outside with ground ginger, garlic powder, rosemary or thyme and oregano.
This was better that Safeway's spit chicken. I mixed chopped garlic, hot pepper flakes and dried oregano - rubbed in inside and out put a cut lemon and onion inside and away it went 2 hours later golden and delicious Thanks Tim Higgins for a delicious dinner