Recipe by Kiki Freebird
Easy, healthy pasta throw-together.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Very nice, a simple dish much enjoyed as a weeknight dinner. Used chicken breast fillets and penne, tossing the penne in the sauce. I have lots of fresh basil in the garden right now, which complements this dish so well. A great fan of sun-dried tomatoes, they are always a good addition to any meal and go so well with chicken! Thanks Kiki, good recipe, enjoyed for PAC Fall 2012
- 2 cups rotini pasta (I used Muellers whole grain)
- 3⁄4 lb chicken tenderloins, cut into bite-sized chunks (I used 6 frozen tenderloins, which was about 12 oz)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil, torn & packed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (garlic & onion)
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes (dry in package, not packed in oil. If you do use the kind in oil, I suggest rinsing them first)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat skillet on medium. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Cook pasta according to directions. (I put the water on to boil while I'm cooking the garlic/onions/chicken, so the pasta is finished about the same time as the rest.).
- Toss in onion and garlic. Stir 1 minute.
- Add chicken. Stir and cook 3-5 minutes, until chicken is mostly cooked through. At this point, I sprinkled with some ground pepper.
- Add can of diced tomatoes and half of basil.
- Simmer 3-5 minutes, until basil is wilted.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and rest of basil.
- Simmer another 2 minutes or so, to let the sun-dried tomatoes soften.
- Spoon on top of pasta. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese & enjoy!