- 6 lbs broiler-fryer chickens
- 2 quarts water
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup pot barley or 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large kettle, cook chicken in water until tender.
- Cool broth and skim off fat.
- Bone the chicken and cut into bite-size pieces, return to kettle along with remaining ingredients.
- Simmer, covered, for at least 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and adjust seasoning.