Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Taken from The Everyday Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 cup barley, picked over and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (about 2 shakes)
- Place the vegetables, garlic, salt, and pepper in the slow cooker crock. Top with the chicken pieces, barley, butter, broth, water, and bouillon. Do NOT stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Before serving, stir in parsley and Tabasco sauce.
We enjoyed this soup and I would make it again even though I felt something was missing. Maybe a bit of thyme? I'm not quite sure. The vegetables and parsley were wonderful. I left out the butter to reduce the fat a little and did not precook the chicken. Thank you for posting. We did enjoy it.