Recipe by **Jubes**
Posting some gluten-free appetizer recipes. This one is a Rick Grant recipe. Be sure to use gluten-free ingredients if required for diet.You can add some finely cut cilantro/coriander to the chicken balls if desired.
Top Review by The Flying Chef
For something so simple this was truly delicious.. I did have a couple of problems with the recipe though not through any fault of Jubes.. I went to the store bought all the ingredients and was so happy that I got a great deal on the chicken. I then got home and read the recipe and realised I do not have a food processor (I have just moved and had to start all over again with stocking my kitchen as I put all my stuff in storage) So off to the supermarket again and I bought chicken mince.. I did add some garlic in when cooking off the onion and celery. I then combined all the ingredients except the egg as my mix was quite moist as I had used chicken mince, which I did not cook and kept raw. I browned the chicken balls in a pan and then put in the oven for about 20 min's to cook through as I did not cook the meat first because of using the mince. I do not think that this would have altered the recipe much as it is all the same ingredients.. Any how it was so delicious and my hubby just kept going on how much he loved it especially the dipping sauce. I have saved to my favourites and will try again using the breasts and then processing after cooking, I am sure it would be just as good.. A huge thumbs up Jubes a super yummy recipe for little effort and few ingredients.. A real winner with us and we would have awarded it more than five stars if we could.. :)
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 stick celery, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce or 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Oriental dipping sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, gluten-free or 3 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice the chicken fillets into very small pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oile in a preheated wok or frypan/skillet and and stir-fry the chicken over high heat for 3 minutes or until golden. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add the finely diced onion and celery to the wok and stir0fry for 1-2 minutes, until softened.
- Place the cooked onion, celery and chicken into a food processor and process until finely minced.
- Add soy sauce and enough egg to make a firm mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using damp hands, shape the chicken mixture into about 30 balls. Refrigerate.
- To make the dipping suace: mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a wok or pan and stir-fry the chicken balls until golden. Brown a few at a time- 6 was suggested inthe original recipe.
- Drain the chicken balls on paper towel and keep warm.
- Serve the chicken balls on toothpicks with the dipping suace.