Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I've had this clipped from a Tesco in store magazine for over 10 years. Finally I am recording it so that I don't lose it! Part of an Indian menu from Madhur Jaffrey.
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated finely
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄4 kg chicken legs with thigh
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl combine lemon juice, salt, ginger, black pepper, coriander, cumin, paprika, cayenne and turmeric. Mix well.
- Add chicken pieces and toss to coat. Cover chicken and set a side in fridge a minimum of 3 hours, maximum of 24.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C, 400 degrees F, gas mark 6.
- Arrange chick npieces on a baking tray, skin side down. Brush with oil.
- Bake in centre of oven 20 minutes. Turn pieces over and cook a further 25 minutes until chicken is tender, basting 3-4 times.
- Transfer to a warmed serving plate.
We really enjoyed this flavourful chicken. Smelled fabulous as it cooked too. We like our chicken a bit crunchier so turned one extra time and baked about 20 minutes longer. Will definitely be making again. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
This is good. I reduced the cayenne to 1/2 a teaspoon (figured we could use more next time, but couldn't take it out if it was too hot this time) and added a big clove of garlic. 1/2 a teaspoon of cayenne was perfect for us.I don't have an oven so cooked this in my electic frying pan with the lid on. I only used drumsticks (no thigh) and cooked them slowly for about 1 hour.