1 hr 30 mins
Roasting a chicken on top of a three-mushroom stuffing keeps it moist and juicy. This is a comfy treat any winter night. From Eatingwell.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2041.16 g chicken
- 14.79 ml fresh thyme leave
- 7.39 ml fresh ground pepper, divided
- 4.92 ml salt, divided
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 19.71 ml olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 709.77 ml cremini mushrooms, sliced (about 8 ounces)
- 473.18 ml portobello mushroom caps, chopped (about 2 small)
- 473.18 ml shiitake mushroom caps, sliced (4 1/2 ounces with stems)
- 14.79 ml fresh rosemary, chopped
- 14.79 ml fresh sage, chopped
- 1182.95 ml whole wheat bread cubes, stale (1-inch, see Tip)
- 236.59 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Remove giblets (if included) from chicken and trim any excess skin. Loosen the skin over the breast and thigh meat and rub thyme, 1 teaspoon pepper and 3/4 teaspoon salt under the skin. Tuck wing tips under and tie legs together with kitchen string. Place breast-side down in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Roast the chicken for 45 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, place sliced leeks in a colander; rinse and drain well. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper; cook for 1 minute. Add cremini, portobello and shiitake mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms release their liquid and it evaporates to a glaze, about 7 minutes. Stir in rosemary, sage and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Stir in bread and broth.
- 4Remove the chicken from the pan. Skim or blot any fat from the pan juices. Add the bread mixture to the roasting pan and spread in an even layer.
- 5Place the chicken, breast-side up, on top of the dressing. Return to the oven and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone registers 165°F, about 45 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board; let rest for 10 minutes before removing the string and carving. Serve the chicken with the dressing.
- 6TIPS & NOTES:.
- 7Tips: The dark gills found on the underside of a portobello are edible, but if you like you can scrape them off with a spoon.
- 8If you don't have stale bread on hand, toast bread cubes at 250°F until crisped and dry, about 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Baked over Mushroom Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (859 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1267.4
- Calories from Fat 742
- Total Fat 82.5 g
- Saturated Fat 22.8 g
- Cholesterol 382.7 mg
- Sodium 980.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 101.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat bread cubes