1 hr 30 mins
Az B's Note:
From Better Homes & Gardens Mexican Edition. If banana leaves are unavailable, use tin foil instead, though the flavor will be affected.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon annatto seeds or 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 4 whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2-3 lbs chicken thighs (with bone) or 2 1/2-3 lbs chicken drumsticks, skinned
- banana leaf
- 1 lb red onion, sliced and separated into rings (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1For marinade - place the annatto seeds, whole peppercorns, allspice, 1/2 tsp oregano, and cumin seeds in spice grinder and grind to fine powder.
- 2In a small bowl, stir together the ground spices, orange peel, orange juice, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 cloves garlic, and onion.
- 3Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag set in a deep bowl. Pour marinade over chicken. Seal bag, turn to coat. Marinate in fridge for 6-24 hours, turning occasionally.
- 4Cut banana leaves into 12x9" rectangles. Loosely roll up and place in a steamer basket over, but not touching, boiling water. Cover and steam 20-30 minutes or until leaves are soft and pliable. Remove and cool.
- 5Remove chicken from marinade, discard marinade. Place 1-2 chicken pieces on each banana leaf. Wrap leaves around chicken. Over wrap with foil and seal tightly.
- 6Place wrapped chicken in single layer in a shallow baking pan.
- 7Bake in 375°F oven for 1 hour or until instant read thermometer inserted into chicken reads 180°F.
- 8Meanwhile for pickled red onions - place onions in a 3 quart stainless steel or nonstick saucepan. Add boiling water to cover. Let stand 1 minute. Drain well.
- 9Return onion rings to saucepan, stir in vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp oregano, cracked black pepper, and 2 cloves garlic.
- 10Bring to boiling, reduce heat Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until onions are tender.
- 11Remove from heat, transfer to a small glass bowl. Let stand until cool, about 45 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- 12To serve carefully remove foil from chicken. Serve chicken in banana leaves with pickled onions.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Baked in Banana Leaves With Pickled Onions
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 720.9
- Calories from Fat 404
- Total Fat 44.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 238.8 mg
- Sodium 670.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 51.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: