Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Considering this is lower in fat, it is absolutely delicious. I love soups in the fall/winter and I made this one often. I serve this with a salad and fresh buns for a nice light supper.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- 19 ounces diced tomatoes, well drained
- 14 ounces cream-style corn
- 2 cups roasted chicken breast, chopped
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce (hickory flavoured)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Cook chopped bacon in a large soup pot over medium high heat until lightly browned but not crisp. Stir in onions, celery, red pepper and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetable begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add thyme and flour. Mix well. Stir in broth and evaporated milk. Bring mixture to a gentle boil and sir continuously until soup thickens slightly.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Note: I go to my butcher and have him cut 4 thick slices of bacon. Their bacon is superior in taste.
This was easy to make. Our 13 month old daughter liked it, but my husband and I weren't too excited about it. I think the flavor of the BBQ sauce threw us off a little bit. Maybe next time I'll try it without the BBQ sauce and tomatoes.
This was a really fast and easy recipe. I used turkey bacon and roasted some chicken breasts in the toaster oven. Great flavors, great soup!