1/5 Photos of Chicken, Bacon and White Bean Soup Portuguese Style
2 hrs 30 mins
One of Emeril Lagasse's favorites. This is a soup his mom would always cook. He describes it as a stick-to-your-ribs soup. Enjoy! *Note: the dried beans need to soak for at least 8 hours. You could do that overnight* (For a quick soak, bring the beans and water to a boil over high heat and cook for 2 minutes at the boil, then remove from the heat and allow to stand for 1 hour. Drain.) Prep time does not include soaking the beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g dried white bean, rinsed and picked over (such as cannellini or great Northern)
- 226.79 g bacon, cut into 1/2 inch wide pieces
- 473.18 ml yellow onions, chopped
- 118.29 ml celery, chopped
- 29.58 ml shallots, minced
- 14.79 ml minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 1892.0 ml chicken stock
- 340.19 g cooked chicken, diced
- 236.59 ml freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1Put the beans into a large pot.
- 2Add water to cover by 2 inches and soak for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- 3Then drain.
- 4Fry the bacon in a heavy stockpot over medium-high heat until crisp, about 7 minutes.
- 5Use a slotted spoon to lift onto paper towels to drain.
- 6Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pot.
- 7Add the onions and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes.
- 8Add the shallots, garlic, bay leaves, salt and cayenne.
- 9Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots soften, about 1 minute.
- 10Add the beans to the pot with the stock, and bring to a boil.
- 11Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 12Stir in the chicken and the reserved bacon and heat through.
- 13Remove and discard bay leaves.
- 14Ladle into warm bowls and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Bacon and White Bean Soup Portuguese Style
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.8
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 58.4 mg
- Sodium 918.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 33.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese