Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great comfort food! This is a delicious filling for a pot pie or served as a casserole, the flavours of the bacon and leek especially gives this chicken dish a lovely flavour and the herbs finish it off beautifully. Easy to prepare and can be frozen
- 1 kg chicken thigh, boneless and large dice
- 100 g bacon, smoky, big dice
- 1 onion, small, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 150 g canned mushrooms, thick sliced
- 118.29 ml plain flour
- 22.18 ml oil
- 1 leek, chopped, white only
- 118.29 ml white wine, not too dry
- 473.18-709.77 ml chicken stock
- 4.92 ml salt
- 9.85-14.78 ml lemon pepper
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 2.46 ml pepper, black, course
- 9.85 ml mixed Italian herbs, the kind that has chili and garlic in it
- 29.58 ml Italian parsley, chopped
- cayenne pepper, a couple of shakes (optional)
- cornflour, to mix
- Cut chicken into large chunks and dust sparingly with the flour. divide in half and brown in skillet, remove and place to one side.
- Add the onion, leek celery, mushrooms and bacon to the pan stirring for a few minutes. then add the wine, chicken stock, (enough to just cover the ingredients) herbs and seasoning and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Return the Chicken and add the parsley and lemon juice and either simmer for 35 - 40 minutes or cook in a microwave on simmer for 20 minutes. Thicken with some cornflour mixed with a small amount of water if necessary.
- You can either put a pastry lid on this and serve it as a pot pie or serve with vegetables as a casserole.
I made this last night for hubby and I. What a treat! I was a bit unsure of the measurements (since I'm in the USA), but I guessed and it was a success! The only thing I left out was the mushrooms (I don't care for them much). I used some left-over chicken breasts and I actually made a home-made pastry crust. It worked out well. Loved all the flavors in it (especially the bacon). This is a delicious "pot pie". Thanks for posting your recipe.