Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
From last week's Weekend magazine.
- 2 cups boiled spaghetti
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup white grape juice, unsweetened
- 1 small avocado, peeled,stoned and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup small broccoli floret, lightly steamed
For the Cheese sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated cheese slice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- Lightly coat chicken with seasoned flour and brown in butter.
- Pour grape juice and stock over it.
- Cook on low flame until tender.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Slice chicken into strips.
- Slice avocado and apply lemon juice over it to prevent it from discolouring.
- For the Cheese sauce: Melt butter.
- Add flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in the cream and milk.
- Heat the mixture again.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Stir continuously.
- Remove from flame.
- Add cheese.
- Stir until cheese melts.
- Keep aside 3/4 cup of cheese sauce.
- Mix the remaining sauce and broccoli with the cooked spaghetti.
- Arrange the sliced chicken pieces on a lightly greased oven-proof dish.
- Spread the spaghetti mixture over the chicken.
- Arrange avocado over this.
- Sprinkle chopped celery over this.
- Top with the remaining cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle allspice powder over it.
- Bake at 180C for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
I really loved this dish. It is what I would term 'comfort food'. Due to my personal preference, I omitted the celery and added more avocado. The broccoli adds a lovely dimension to this dish. I thought the amount of cream called for would be a little too rich so I substituted 1/2 cup of the cream with whole milk - the result was pleasantly creamy enough. The sauce also looked too thin to me so I added some cornflour paste at the end to thicken. Next time I will use 3 Tbsp of flour instead of 2 - as there will definitely be a next time!! Lovely - thank you!