Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Taken from Taste of Home magazine --- delicious crispy breaded chicken topped off with avocados and cheese, this is a delicious recipe and worth making! :)
Top Review by jaybee chef
This was excellent! The only change I made was I used boneless skinless chicken thighs. I didn't pound them so they were fairly thick but uniform. I compensated for the thickness by putting them in the oven directly from the skillet for 10 minutes. Then I removed them and finished topping them with the avocado and cheese. I used a Mexican 4 cheese blend, it worked very well. Since I was serving only 2, I reserved 2 prior to adding the avocado and cheese, and refrigerated them for another meal in a few days, thinking they'd be fresher in taste and appearance than trying to reheat the finished product. They not only taste yummy, but they also give a very nice presentation. Like others suggested, my husband added hot sauce as a condiment with the sour cream and green onion. I considered adding sliced black olives as a condiment, but decided we didn't need the additional sodium. This is going in my favorites folder!
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced (can use 2 small avocados if desired)
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (marble or gouda cheese works fine also) or 2 cups any other mild cheese (marble or gouda cheese works fine also)
- sour cream, for garnish
- chopped green onion, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a meat mallet, or the bottom of a small heavy saucepan, flatten the chicken breast halves to 1/4-inch thickness.
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Dredge the chicken in the cornstarch mixture, then in the egg mixture, then in the cornmeal.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat, and brown the chicken lightly on both sides (do not over-brown the chicken breasts!).
- Place the chicken in a shallow baking dish, and top with the avocado slices.
- Top with the grated cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is done, and the cheese has melted.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions-- DELICIOUS!