Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Taken from Taste of Home magazine --- delicious crispy breaded chicken topped off with avocados and cheese, this is a delicious recipe and worth making! :)
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced (can use 2 small avocados if desired)
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (marble or gouda cheese works fine also) or 2 cups any other mild cheese (marble or gouda cheese works fine also)
- sour cream, for garnish
- chopped green onion, for garnish
- Using a meat mallet, or the bottom of a small heavy saucepan, flatten the chicken breast halves to 1/4-inch thickness.
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Dredge the chicken in the cornstarch mixture, then in the egg mixture, then in the cornmeal.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat, and brown the chicken lightly on both sides (do not over-brown the chicken breasts!).
- Place the chicken in a shallow baking dish, and top with the avocado slices.
- Top with the grated cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is done, and the cheese has melted.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions-- DELICIOUS!
This was excellent! The only change I made was I used boneless skinless chicken thighs. I didn't pound them so they were fairly thick but uniform. I compensated for the thickness by putting them in the oven directly from the skillet for 10 minutes. Then I removed them and finished topping them with the avocado and cheese. I used a Mexican 4 cheese blend, it worked very well. Since I was serving only 2, I reserved 2 prior to adding the avocado and cheese, and refrigerated them for another meal in a few days, thinking they'd be fresher in taste and appearance than trying to reheat the finished product. They not only taste yummy, but they also give a very nice presentation. Like others suggested, my husband added hot sauce as a condiment with the sour cream and green onion. I considered adding sliced black olives as a condiment, but decided we didn't need the additional sodium. This is going in my favorites folder!
Thanks for another terrific recipe! I've been on an avocado kick lately and this was just what I was looking for. I made it exactly as written---so so good! I served it with DDW'S Easy Fiesta Beans and a tossed salad. All together it was a very satisfying meal! Thanks again!
Oh so good!!! I made this exactly as listed, using old cheddar for the cheese. I wouldn't change a thing about this. The cumin added a terrific flavour and the cornmeal is an excellent crust. We had this with mixed veggies and roast potatoes. YUMMMMMM!!!!! Made for Kittencal's Green tag. Thanks Carol! :)